December 26, 2011

Quarter Century


December 27th is a momentous occasion for the McGehee family this year, for we are celebrating the 25th wedding anniversary of Mom and Dad! This morning, the lovebirds took off on a special overnight excursion to Manitou Springs (a fact which Mom is not yet privy to).

I do not expect anything less than unconditional love, fidelity and devotion between my parents so I am certainly not amazed that they "made it" to this silver celebration. There is absolutely no reason for me to doubt that they will celebrate many more anniversaries. But our culture tells me that I am a minority: my parents are still together. Beyond that, they are still very much in love!

The pride that I take in my parent's 25th anniversary has nothing to do with the fact that they "beat the odds", remained faithful to each other, or even that they still exhibit affections toward each other. My pride in my parent's love and marriage exists because I know that they have a firm foundation in the Lord. Affection, tenderness, romance, attraction, and loving qualities are the natural result of a marriage that is built upon God first. So for that reason, Mom and Dad, I admire you, aspire to emulate you, take pride in your marriage, and love you so very much.

Happy Silver Anniversary!



1986



2011

1 comment:

Dan and Pam Johnson said...

Hongera Sana or Congratulations very much!
What a wonderful testimony of a godly marriage. I am glad I got to know this sweet couple for a few years in Gainsville, FL.
Dale and Stephanie, May you have many more wonderful years together.
Blessings,
Dan and Pam Johnson