July 1, 2009

Those flaws are MINE!

So often we are praised for all the things that we do well, our talents, our strengths, and the little niceties that make up who we are. We would rather not talk about those not-so-good's that plague us in secret. "Those flaws are mine and I want to keep them wrapped up and stuffed under the bed where nobody can find them. Nobody needs to know!"

Lately I have started to find the complements to have the opposite affect on my perception of me. So today I sat down and wrote out all the things that I see as my character flaws. It was a rather rude reminder of where I am as far as spiritual, emotional, mental and physical maturity. Yet it was a little devotional as I brainstormed one hundred different ways to combat the sins of my character, many of which involve reminders to pray and memorizing scripture (one of those flaws I mentioned).

Another thing that I do on occasion is ask my parents what they perceive are my greatest weaknesses. We have an understanding that honesty is the only way to go in our family relationship and such things are regularly discussed. But sometimes things come out when you have one-on-one discourse with your parents. If you really want to be challenged ask them to be dreadfully honest, give you instances where you failed, and suggest practical ways to improve. Talk about a humbling conversation. My parents know me best and I trust them to expose my faults while encouraging me to grow into a Proverbs 31 woman.

No comments: